Vikings’ Peterson ‘standing strong’ after son’s funeral

Vikings’ Peterson ‘standing strong’ after son’s funeral

BACK WITH THE TEAM: Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson (28) breaks the tackle of Carolina Panthers cornerback Melvin White (23) in the second quarter at Mall of America Field at H.H.H. Metrodome, on Oct. 13. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson rejoined his team for practice on Thursday, saying he was “standing strong” a day after attending his two-year-old son’s funeral in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Peterson’s son died last week in Sioux Falls after suffering head injuries following what local police described as an apparent assault in a severe case of child abuse.

A 27-year-old man, allegedly a friend of the boy’s mother, has been charged with aggravated battery and aggravated assault.

“It’s an unfortunate situation and I can speak on it,” Peterson told reporters on Thursday, having seen his son for the first time at the funeral after only learning the child was his two months ago.

“I was planning on seeing him and I had talked with his mom and had gotten some things together as far as financially helping her. Unfortunately, this situation took place and it’s devastating.

“It’s tough, but I’m able to deal with that. I got a good supporting cast around me. I’m standing strong, I am.”

Peterson, the NFL’s reigning most valuable player and a five-time Pro Bowler, was limited in practice on Thursday because of a hamstring injury but hopes to play against the New York Giants on Monday.

“I’ve just been trying to wrap my head around things and try to stay focused and play ball as well,” said the 28-year-old running back, who played in Sunday’s 35-10 loss to the Carolina Panthers.

“Things have been tough, but I can handle a lot. Like I said, I’m built for anything that comes my way. This right here will pass.”

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

‘Ant-Man’ sequel and three more Marvel movies are coming


The superhero universe will add three more as of yet unnamed movies by 2020.

in Entertainment

Carlton says there won’t be a ‘Fresh Prince’ reboot


Alfonso Ribeiro is adamant there will never be a TV reboot of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," because no one can take the place of their "cornerstone" James Avery.

in Music

Kool & the Gang have star power


The band was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame while celebrating their 50th anniversary Thursday in L.A.

in Entertainment

‘Netflix and chill’ is going to cost you a little more


The price increase only affects new customers to the company's "standard" plan, which allows two viewers use a subscription at once.

in Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: ‘A Reasonable Speed’ with Keanu Reeves


This could give the "Fast & Furious" a run for its money.