News

‘X-Men’ director accused of drugging, raping teen

‘X-Men’ director accused of drugging, raping teen

LAWSUIT:Producer and director Bryan Singer has been accused of drugging and raping a teenage boy in California and Hawaii in the late 1990s, according to a lawsuit filed in U.S. court on Wednesday. Photo: Reuters

By Eric M. Johnson

(Reuters) – Producer and director Bryan Singer has been accused of drugging and raping a teenage boy in California and Hawaii in the late 1990s, according to a lawsuit filed in U.S. court on Wednesday.

The lawsuit – filed weeks before the release of Singer’s upcoming “X-Men: Days of Future Past” – alleges the 48-year-old used his influence as a Hollywood insider, as well as a range of drugs and alcohol, to force anal and oral sex on the boy.

Michael Egan seeks unspecified damages and a jury trial after wide-ranging abuses at California and Hawaii house parties beginning in the late 1990s, according to the civil action filed in a Hawaii federal court.

A representative for Singer did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The suit accuses Marc Collins-Rector, a former entertainment business executive and registered sex offender, of initiating the sexual abuse by arranging for Singer to meet Egan at “notorious parties” in Encino, California, around 1998.

“The parties were typically sordid and featured sexual contact between adult males and the many teenage boys who were present for the parties,” the lawsuit said.

Egan, from Nevada, moved to the Los Angeles-area when he was 14 or 15. He was paid at least $1,500 per week by Collins-Rector’s former entertainment company without any clear job, as well as sent on private jets “to attractive locations”, the suit says.

Egan was also allegedly threatened by Singer and other men who told him they “controlled Hollywood and would destroy his hopes and dreams of an acting career if he did not keep them happy”, the lawsuit said.

Egan, then 17, was flown to Hawaii on at least two roughly week-long trips in 1999 where Singer allegedly provided him with drugs and booze and assaulted him in a number of non-consensual sexual acts.

Singer, a producer and director known for television shows and movies such as “House M.D.” and “The Usual Suspects,” also promised Egan roles in an “X-Men” movie, commercials, among other projects, the lawsuit said.

Egan and his attorney were to hold a press conference on Thursday in Los Angeles.

(Editing by Larry King)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: July 29

benjerrys

A look back at the Hollywood headlines that went down in history.

in Music

Aretha Franklin storms out of fast food joint

FILE - In this May 11, 2013 file photo, Aretha Franklin performs during McDonald's Gospelfest 2013 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.Franklin won’t say what has caused her latest health problems, but says she’s had a “miraculous” recovery and is looking forward to performing soon.In a phone interview on Tuesday, Aug. 20, Franklin said that she recently had a cat scan and that it showed she was 85 percent improved. The 71-year-old has canceled several concerts and public appearances and blamed it on unspecified treatment.

Aretha Franklin stormed out a Johnny Rockets in Ontario, Canada last week after a nasty encounter with a rude employee.

in Music

Nicki Minaj delays release of new ‘Anaconda’ single

Nicki Minaj

After taking criticism for a controversial album cover, Nicki Minaj mysteriously pushes the release of her new single back a week.

in Entertainment

Fans support campaign to keep Sean Bean alive in new show

British actor Sean Bean arrives for a special UK screening of Cleanskin, at the Mayfair Hotel in central London, Monday, March 5, 2012.

The "Game of Thrones" actor has died more than 20 times in his career, and fans want it to stop.

in Entertainment

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ sequel set for 2017

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Marvel unveils plans to press ahead with a sequel to "Guardians of the Galaxy," days before the superhero movie even hits theaters.